Saturday, July 10, 2010

Our First Day Hike Trip

Wezul and I went for our first hiking trip today around Falls Lake along the Mountains to Sea Trail.  It has two purposes:
  1. It is to help Wezul prepare for his AT hike in October 
  2. An escape for the both of us from the gym
The day started out with Wezul making fun of my wardrobe.  I had my REI booney hat, my hiking socks, and my hiking boots on.  Keep in mind I described some of the trail, crossing creeks by foot or foot bridges, grass, etc.  However, it didn't really sink into Wezul's head that it was not PAVED trails.  When we hit the path for the trail, he decided he should switch into his hiking boots.  I will have to give him some  leeway, the paths along the road we drove were all paved...so...I guess one could make the assumptions and laugh at me that I was "overdressed" for a walk along a paved path...

Everything was going well until my eye caught a glimpse of the all too familiar tongue I have come to known in my line of work....


Yup, in between the two trunks near the slinder tree sprout, there is a black snake.  He was crossing my path.  As I stopped, and let out a small yelp, I froze until I knew where he was going, but then Wezul was like get back here...so I moved towards Wezul.  At that point, Mr. Snake decided to turn around and go the other way until he noticed Wezul wanted a picture.  At that point, he arched up...and was like..."you looking at me?!?"  

Now I understand why Wezul prefers hiking in the winter time; however, I don't get a choice with my job.  :)  I have to say I prefer this snake to the usual copperheads or moccasins we run into at work.  

No comments: