Sunday, May 3, 2009

Project: Planter Box

We have embarked on another DIY mission. Our yard sucks for growing things in it. The contractors decided when they were filling our yard...instead of taking the time to maybe make the ground plant friendly, let's just throw in a bunch of clay that will make the owner cringe for years to come. The contractors were successful.

We lost one hydrangea we used to replace our dead gardenia bush. However, the good news is one of the "terminal" gardenia bushes has rebounded. It is still looks bare, but you can see new leaves beginning to sprout along the branches if you look really really close at it.

A coworker mentioned that his family has a garden in several planter boxes. After a few conversations and catching my hubby on a good day, I was able to convince him it was doable. I sweetened the deal by stating I would purchase the initial wood we will need from my "allowance".

Today was a gorgeous day. We got started early this morning. I wanted to help. It is a sad sickness I have. I want to learn how to be handy around the house...all this has gotten me is the following over the years:
  • dirty
  • sore
  • carrying heavy bricks
  • laying sod
  • and now covered in saw dust
There is a keen sense of satisfaction in learning, doing and helping. Wezul did let me work the drill (only for a handful of screws). At first, I was a little disappointed I didn't ask to use the saw, but it is scary. I probably should work my way up to that....

The bottom...purrty...isn't it? Heehee!!!

After all is said and done, this box isn't going to go anywhere after we get the dirt in it. It is one heavy mutha...And if I ever turn up missing...maybe it should be the first place you should look.......

No comments: